Our next stop was Verona, Italy. This was probably the most adventurous stop for Jake. Unfortunately, I had been getting sick the last couple of days. When we got on the train from Munich to Verona I thought I was going to die. I was so sick, and it was the worst pain I have ever felt! Probably even worse than that damn kidney stone I had. I ended up staying in the bathroom for probably an hour of our four hour train ride. Jake didn't know what to do. Once we got to Verona, I was starting to feel a little better. Probably because I really wanted to go tour Verona so I didn't care about the pain! haha.
I had just watched the movie Letters to Juliet which was filmed in Verona. We went to Juliet's house, her tomb, and Romeo's house as well. There was also a little alley way where the walls were filled with love notes. If only I had a pen, Jake and I would be on there forever! Once you walk a little further down the alley, you see this balcony where Juliet stood with her Romeo down below her. Very romantic! To make it even more romantic, there was a mini colosseum in the city! It reminded me so much of Rome, just on a smaller scale!
The entire city was surrounded by a wall. It was falling over in places, but was still mostly in tact. It said not to climb on the wall, so naturally I had to get a picture of me trying to climb the wall. For some reason, when there is a sign telling me not to do something, I go and do exactly what that sign warns against. Call me rebellious! Jake thought I was embarrassing so he refused to climb the wall with me. On the other side of the wall was a little moat and river. apparently that's how they really kept people from entering the city!
After touring the city all day we sat down for our first nice meal of our trip. It was authentic Italian food. We had been starved the last week so we ate so much food! We had pastas, salads, a million cheeses, and dessert (gellato of course). I swear, the Italians know how to make some good food.
Unfortunately, the end to such a fabulous day didn't end so well. When we got back to the hotel I was starting to feel sick again. It wasn't as bad as the train ride but it was building up to that. I decided to just go to sleep and hope that it would go away. Well, in the middle of the night I woke up in excruciating pain. Jake had no idea what to do so he went and talked to the doorman. Unfortunately, it was King's holiday or something so everything was closed. When Jake asked if anything were open, the doorman looked shocked like he would dare shop on King's holiday. Eventually, he told him of a place that might be open so he called a cab. Mind you this was at 3 a.m. He had to pay the guy 40 bucks to take him to this little whole in the wall pharmacy. The pharmacy was closed, but a pharmacist was on call. You had to ring this bell to wake them up. He woke up the pharmacist and then since he doesn't know Italian he started giving hand motions to show her what was wrong with me. This must have been hilarious for her. He got the medicine and made his way back to the hotel. I took the medicine and nothing was happening. I was still feeling so sick. Jake gave me a blessing, and we decided everything was going to be ok we just needed to go back to bed.
I was actually able to fall asleep for a few hours. When I woke up I was still feeling sick and we were supposed to get on the train to Rome. We were tempted to stay in Verona since I was still feeling sick but after Jake's blessing we decided that Heavenly Father would take care of us and we should continue on our trip. We left for the train station, and I was a little queazy at first but then magically I was all better! Luckily, that lasted the rest of the trip.
Jake was so wonderful during that time though. When we went to the train station, he even took my backpack and carried it for me. Those things are heavy and he was carrying two! He is an amazing man! I am so lucky to have him!




Sunday, February 20, 2011
Verona
Posted by KimandJake at 4:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment