Sunday, February 20, 2011

Roma and the Vatican

ROMA, ROMA, ROMA! We had arrived! Man, I love this city. Rome and London = best cities ever! Finally, we had warmth as well! There was no need for a jacket or 10 layers! Where to start?

Food? gelato, crepes, pasta, pizza, OMG! In love.

Then there is all of the amazing sites. We stayed right next to the Colosseum, so we walked down there right when we got there. We also spent the evenings there sitting on a little balcony overlooking the colosseum and the Roman forum. I seriously don't know of a more romantic place in the world. When you get off of the coloseo stop on the subway and you come up the stairs, the colosseum is right in front of you and is huge! It is amazing, shocking really. Then there is the Roman forum. This is right next to the colosseum and was Caesars playground back in the day. There are some buildings that are still in tact, but my favorite part of it was all of the columns that were still standing. I am so in love with the architecture there. One day, I will build a house with lots of columns that is very romanesque.

Can't forget the trevi fountain either. We went in the evening time so it wasn't as packed. I was sure to give both Jake and I a coin and throw it into the fountain over our shoulders. This ensures that we will be back to Rome one day! Maybe to live???? haha. I wish. This is the most famous fountain in Rome, but there are some other amazing fountains all throughout Rome. Rome is so full of them! Another one of my favorites was the Fountain of four rivers which is in Piazza Navona. My mom especially loves this place because it's where I bought my hand painted beautiful art! (i mean hers now that she stole them from me). There are a bunch of restaurants around the piazza where you can just bask in the sun, enjoy food, and people watch. This is one of my favorite things to do in Rome. I love it here! Plus on Sundays all of the artists are out so you can look at all of their art. Some are pretty amazing as well!

Then there are the Spanish Steps. It is this amazing area where these steps lead to this beautiful church at the top. This is one of the more high end areas as well because it has all of the good shopping and fancy restaurants! Of course there is a fountain at the bottom of the steps as well in true roman form. Jake and I came and lounged here one evening just taking in the breathtaking beauty of Rome. Once a year in this spot, they fill the entire stepway with red balloons. I have no idea why. It might be to bring awareness to something. I have only seen pictures of them doing this, but it would be amazing to see that in real life!

And then there is the Vatican. I could spend all day in the Vatican as well. I studied for a semester in Rome when I was in college and we came out just after the Pope had died. Thousands upon thousands were at the vatican celebrating the new pope and grieving for the pope that had passed. A few friends of mine and I went to the Vatican one night when they were celebrating the new pope. There was a huge circle probably 300-400 people all holding hands and singing an italian song. There was a picture of the pope that had passed away with candles lit next to hit. We went and joined the circle and just hummed along with the song since we didn't know the words. Ever since this experience, the Vatican has held a special place in my heart. I love it there! Jake and I went into the Vatican and you initially walk into the piazza. This piazza alone is overwhelming. It it a huge circle with columns forming the circle, and statues made of stone on top of the columns. Then you have the Church itself wedged in between the columns. Words can't describe how amazing this place is! Once you get inside, you can see that the Catholic church has put a lot of time and money into this place. The ceilings are made of gold and are extremely high. There are columns throughout the church, with large stone statues everywhere. Since we went at Christmas time, they had this amazing manger scene set up!

Beneath the church are the tombs of the past popes. There are Popes from the 1200's down there. It is amazing! All of their tombs are huge with large writings of their accomplishments. Up on the main floor, they have actually moved some of these bodies of past popes that have been maintained and displayed their bodies for all to see. That creeped me out a little bit, cause you can tell that they have had "maintenance" done in order to keep them looking fresh rather than decades deceased.

In a separate building in the Vatican is the museum. This is where the Sistine Chapel is as well as other amazing art pieces. You are not supposed to take pictures, but let's be honest. It's the freaking sistine chapel and I'm not using a flash. It won't harm it! So I snuck in my phone and took pictures as did the other 100 people that were in there. haha. It's amazing how well kept that ceiling is and how wonderfully painted it is as well. Everything about Rome is just beautiful!

Luckily for us, our flight got canceled. We had an extra day in paradise to explore! I could go on about rome forever, so I'll just stop there and save everyone reading this a novel.





























0 comments: