Damian MacNeill
My friend Damers passed away on Saturday. He was 24 years old. The last few years of his life were filled with hardship. Now, I am grateful to know that he is at peace and with his mom in heaven.
How could someone die so young? Damers had such a strong personality, and made strong friendships very quickly. He befriended me when I was new to the neighborhood and quickly became a friend to my whole family. He was one that didn't need to knock, he was welcome to walk in. He taught my sister to drive, and taught me to enjoy life and embrace my flaws. He was a very good friend, and I am extremely sorry that I wasn't there for him during his last trials. It will be a regret that I carry throughout this life.
The past couple of days have made me really lean on the gospel for understanding. I order the Ensign every month, but it normally just ends up sitting on my coffee table unread. However, this last issue caught my attention, especially a talk by President Uchtdorf. My favorite excerpt is below:
"How do we find ourselves surrounded by threatening clouds and stormy weather, wondering if the darkness will ever pass? If there were only a way for us to lift ourselves up from the turmoil of life and break through to a place of peace and calm. I know that such a thing is possible. There is a way to rise above the turbulence of everyday life. The knowledge, understanding, and guidance we receive from the word of God and from prophetic guidance in our day show us how to do exactly that......
When the force that is pushing us heavenward is greater than the temptations and distress that drag us downward, we can ascend and soar into the realm of the Spirit. "
The last sentence really made me understand what I needed to do to truly understand the gospel and be able to feel it's spirit. I know that by taking President Uchtdorf's guidance, I can be with my family forever, those here now, and those that have passed on. I know that there is a heaven, and I will see Damers again.

2 comments:
That is so tragic, i totally remember him and he was so nice! I am thinking about you, hope things are going good! Love you and miss you!
so sad. thanks for sharing--what a great message!
Post a Comment