This Thanksgiving I wanted to share what I am most grateful for. We often forget the simple things, so I glad that we have holiday to remind us of how lucky we all are.
First, I am so grateful for my family. My husband especially. I don't think there is a man on this earth better than him. He has such a large heart, and would do anything for me despite what it costs him. He makes me want to be a better person simply through watching him live his life. When anyone approaches him for a favor, he immediately agrees to help. When we were sitting in a Wendy's one night in Salt Lake a homeless lately approached us asking for food. Jake immediately stood up, pulled out his wallet and said, "let's get you some". He told her she could have anything she wanted. He paid for the meal, came and sat back down, and acting like nothing had happened. His simple act of charity at that particular moment has changed my life.
I am grateful for my parents. All of them. My dad has always supported me in life. He was at every one of my basketball games, and always helped me to become a better player. That not only helped on the court but in my life as well. He has such a kind heart and good intentions. He is going through a hard time in his life and it hurts me to know that I can't make it better for him. I love him so much and just want him to be happy. I am so glad that he is part of my life.
I am grateful for Paul. When my parents got divorced, I expected a fight. I expected to be torn. I expected to go to two different households on holidays. I expected to be pressured to "choose" between them. It's possible that is how things could have turned out if it weren't for Paul. Paul is the one that completes our family. Its like he was always meant to be part of our family, but just later in life. I've only known him for a few years, but I love him like a father as well.
My mom is one that is hard to write about. Words literally can't express how grateful I am for her. She is such a fighter. I don't know anyone stronger than her. When I feel weak and that the world is going to make me collapse, I find strength in myself because of her example. She would do anything for her kids and constantly proves it by her sacrifices. I just hope and pray that she can live the rest of her life in joy. It wouldn't be enough to compensate for all that she has done in this lifetime to help not only her kids, but the less fortunate as well, but it would be a start.
I couldn't be happier that I was put on this earth with my sisters. If something were to cause one of us pain, we would always be there to support each other and beat up or harass whoever necessary. Trust me, this has happened many times. Each of them are very different, but they have taught me different things throughout life despite not knowing it at the time. They are each so brave and I am extremely grateful for each of them. I am so grateful that Ashley is pregnant. I prayed for so long that her invetro would work, or that by some miracle she would somehow get pregnant naturally. No one deserves a baby more than her. She will be such a good mom.
I am also thankful for my in-laws. I got extremely lucky to have them part of my life. Nikki is a lot like my mom. They are both very independent woman with goals and ambition. I love that about her. She isn't afraid to go out there and work for what she wants. I know this may sound weird but I am also grateful for her cooking skills even though I do not live nearby. I know that when I need a recipe or cooking advice I can always call her. It's moved me from making Jake Pasta Roni, to making homemade chili! And then there is Stevo. I am grateful for his humor. Sometimes I wonder why he puts up with me. The first time I met him I was already making fun of his driving. Surprisingly, he immediately went with it and made a stab back at me. Weirdly enough, that's when I knew I would love this family. He is so smart and works so hard to provide for his family. He pushes Jake to do things that he has never done before because it will make him a better man. I am grateful for these two. They did an amazing job raising their family. Jake's brother Bryce is like the little brother I never got to have. I always tease him about kissing girls, and causing trouble for his parents. He's such a good kid and I am proud to call him my brother. Shmani is also an amazing person. She is more quiet. I've noticed there will be times when everyone is talking like crazy and she is just quietly observing. i always wonder what is going on in her mind. She is definitely very smart. I am so glad that she is my sister.
I got so lucky to have my best friends part of my life. Most of us have been friends since elementary, one since we were in the "womb". I don't know what kind of person I would be without them. Going through high school you have many temptations to make horrible decisions. Yet, I have good friends that were very good influences and we helped each other make good choices. I can't even describe how much these girls have helped me in life. When my parents divorce got finalized I knew it was coming, but it was still hard. I was in New York at the time and was distanced from everyone I knew back home. I remember going into the bathroom of my apartment, turning on the shower so my roommates couldn't hear me, and balling. In that moment, I called one of my best friends and just cried to her. She didn't say much, she just listened. It was all I needed. We all try to get together every month. I hope that we continue to do this in the future no matter what life brings. Friends Forever!
Church is one of the most important things in my life. It gives me hope in a world of greed and hatred. It gives me the assurance that there will come another day and that this challenge will pass. I know that there is a heaven. I know that Christ lives. I know that he is there for each and every one of us even if we are Mormon or not. One of the best decisions I ever made in my life was to get married in the temple for eternity. It was such a bittersweet day. It was the day that I finally got to be sealed to Jake, yet most of my family was not there. At times, I wanted to scream from a rooftop because I was so happy. Other days, I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry leading up to the wedding. I wanted my family to be there. Despite being sad that most couldn't come, I got married in the temple regardless. Despite having the temporary sadness, I now have long term joy. I get to spend the rest of my life with Jake, plus eternity.
I am also grateful for my health. I recently got the swine flu and was out for 10 days. It was miserable! I kept telling myself that without pain, I wouldn't appreciate my good health. Since getting sick and having the weather change to the miserable cold I haven't been able to run. Running is my stress relief. I used to be able to run for miles. I felt like I could run forever and that I was on top of the world. I am so glad that I have the capability to run. I am also grateful for those that aren't. I ran a half marathon a couple months ago and there were a few people racing that were paralyzed from the waist down, or didn't even have legs, yet they were out there in the bikes that you spin with your hands. Those people are amazing!
I am grateful that I have the opportunity to get education. This includes both at a university and through traveling. I graduated at the U recently and was so excited to have it over with. Now that I'm done, I want more. I want to go back to law school. I want to keep learning and do something that could actually help people, protect people, and put horrible people in jail! Traveling to different states and countries has been an invaluable education. I have been lucky enough to live in Spain and Italy for a few months each. Experiencing new cultures is always refreshing. You learn so much about other people and their beliefs by simply touring the country or striking up a conversation with someone at a local coffee shop. I am so grateful for these opportunities and hope that we will have the means to continue to travel in the future.
I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I am grateful for all of you!
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Thanksgiving
Posted by KimandJake at 10:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Kimmie you made me cry reading this. I am so proud of you, your choices and your accomplishments. I love you so very much. XOXO Mom
Post a Comment