I received this comment on by blog regarding our recent trip to Cancun. I have to admit at first I was amazed someone could be this rude. However, I realized there are some people out there that enjoy criticizing others in order to make themselves feel better. The last few days have actually made me come to feel bad for the person that wrote this. It makes me wonder who hurt them so badly that made them feel like they need to reach out and hurt others? Instead of being rude, I am going to simply respond to his inquiries.
"Does it bother you that you once had tremendous ambition in the field of business (a perversion inherited from your mother, no doubt) and now, thanks to another handout from your irresponsibly wealthy parents, you rob the desperate through deceit, giving them false hope through your multi-level marketing scheme? That you idolized Alan Greenspan and now you sling soy candles? Do you choke on cognitive dissonance by saying your 'testimony has been strengthened' after taking a luxurious trip paid for by your wanton plundering? What morals do you subscribe to, exactly? That your ornate lifestyle is paid for with the blood of the poor? How is this OK, even within the framework of your absurd religion?"
No, it does not bother me that I have ambition in the field of business, finance, and law. I am very proud of this, and hope that my future kids will have ambition and passion in whatever they choose to do. Life is about learning from your experiences and doing what is right for you. Finance has blessed my life and given me the opportunity to learn all aspects of the economy. However, I want to further my education and study financial law. This is not a bad thing! You could argue that this was inherited from my mother. She is after all very successful in what she does. However, to call ambition a perversion is ridiculous. My mother is an amazing person that has given hope to many breast cancer patients, and fed hundreds if not thousands of people through the company that she has started. I can only hope to have such an affect on people through my actions. The For Every Home business that she started is not scheme. It provides opportunities for Women to create their own business and remain at home with their kids.
My testimony in the church was not strengthened by the "luxurious trip" to Mexico. It was strengthened by seeing a different culture and the ruins that were left behind in the Mayan cities. They had immense faith in the religion, and had knowledge that was unheard of that time. If you have read the book of Mormon you can see the correlation. My morals are based on my personal experience throughout this life, and the Mormon church has provided me with a path to help me find myself. I can guarantee you that the morals I have are far better than the ones that you subscribe to.
My testimony in the church was not strengthened by the "luxurious trip" to Mexico. It was strengthened by seeing a different culture and the ruins that were left behind in the Mayan cities. They had immense faith in the religion, and had knowledge that was unheard of that time. If you have read the book of Mormon you can see the correlation. My morals are based on my personal experience throughout this life, and the Mormon church has provided me with a path to help me find myself. I can guarantee you that the morals I have are far better than the ones that you subscribe to.
"To connect the Mayan civilization with the Book of Mormon shows a level of ignorance so willing and so cloistered that I'm surprised you're able to function outside of Utah at all, given the relative lack of pudgy, white, wealthy faces you surround yourself with constantly. That you don't faint upon seeing a minority at the grocery store is a wild success, your definition of progressive."
You are correct. Utah is mainly white. However, do not pretend to know who I associate myself with. Color of skin, weight, and wealth do not define someone. I enjoy meeting people from every culture and race. It brings different ideas and ways of thinking to my life and I assure you, I survive just fine outside of Utah. I have on three different occasions lived overseas and in New York where you currently reside. There are people throughout this world that will only befriend you after they review your resume. I choose to not associate myself with those types of people and it sounds like you may fall into that category. Although it sounds like you will not associate yourself with anyone that has a different background than yourself. This is very narrow minded, and will not provide the opportunity for learning in your life.
"It is one thing to never know struggle. To never raise a finger; to have your life paved in gold by your parents, your grandparents, whoever. It is quite another to perpetuate this unfairness by manipulating human hope and nature to sustain your bleached and tanned and superficial and hollow existence."
Again, do not pretend to know my life and my struggles. While my parents could have supported me through college, I chose to take my own path. I worked full time throughout my undergraduate career. I paid for my rent, my food, and my clothes. I am not taking a hand out from my parents to go to law school. I am taking out student loans! My life as well as my family's lives have not been paved in gold. We have had many problems in life. The difference between us and you is that we support each other and help each other through our struggles to become better people. I would not call this superficial. In fact, look up the definition of superficial. One of the definitions is "Concerned with or comprehending only what is on the surface or obvious" I believe this pertains to you, not me.
"You should be miserable. You and your privileged husband should be miserable because you're miserable and petty people. You're boring and evil. Convince yourself otherwise through your obscene globetrotting. That you're not ordinary because you're in Rome and you're not ordinary because you're in Cancun. But you are. Like most people, you are nothing but a product of the system you were born into. You earned none of this. None of this. You are a decorated husk of a human and nothing more."
The best part of your rant is that I am not miserable, but I believe you are miserable. I cannot see how these actions can make you happy. You point your finger at me trying to put me down, but do you really believe that this makes you special instead of ordinary? I would argue not. It makes you like most people in this world. You would rather point out someone else's flaw rather than look at your own. Calling me ordinary does not hurt my feelings, I am happy to be ordinary.
Now, I want to thank you. I am a product of the system I was born into. I am happy for this! My family and friends are amazing! I am blessed to have them in my life. I am grateful to learn from my parents, and the church. These are people and institutions with high morals. I am happy to associate myself with them.
Now, I want to thank you. I am a product of the system I was born into. I am happy for this! My family and friends are amazing! I am blessed to have them in my life. I am grateful to learn from my parents, and the church. These are people and institutions with high morals. I am happy to associate myself with them.
Lastly, you claim to help people through criticising them. If you are so proud of this fact, then why do it anonymously? Are you afraid someone might criticize you? You want people to look at their lives but you are afraid to look at yours! What goes around comes around.
14 comments:
Amazing! You are such a wonderful person I am so proud to call my sister!
I don't know you, but linked to your blog from the Daybreak Diva blog. I just wanted to say that I am impressed with how you have chosen to handle this situation. We used to have an unpleasant lurker who would occasionally leave rude comments on our blog (nowhere near as terrible as yours), so we set up a live traffic feed to see where people are coming from and stopped accepting anonymous comments. That put an end to that. I can never understand why someone feels the need to tear other people down like that. So kudos to you.
Way to go Kimmie! Knowing you as long as I have I would say you have done nothing but expand yourself with the fact that your mom has worked hard to bless your family financially. I also laugh when people say that because you weren't poor you haven't struggled. FYI Kim's crazy stalker, there is more to money in life, including non-financial stuggles.
Holy crap. The nerve of some people. Do you even know this person that left the comment? I am just shocked. Way to hold your own though! You're right, some people just thrive on treating others like piles of shi....
Kimmie:
As your mother I am so very proud of you for the way you handled this situation. The person that wrote this nasty comment has something seriously wrong with them. To intentionally try to hurt someone and on their birthday as this person did to you is terrible. As you stated this individual must have been hurt in their life to lash out as they have. This individual did this anonymously as well so clearly they are afraid to come forward as to who they really are.
We all know that what you have hasn't come easy. It has been through a lot of hard work and trials of your own. What your parents have hasn't come easy either. What nobody sees is the long hours of work and travel to make the business successful. Our primary objective has been to give back to others and to help and provide for families. As you said what goes around comes around. One of my favorite sayings is "every dog gets his day." I am going to pray for this person that when Karma hits them between the eyes for such acts and comments as these that they have friends and love around. I am afraid they won't.
Stand tall and be proud Kimmie. You are a wonderful young woman who has nothing to apologize for or be sorry about. You have played by the rules your entire life and I love you very much. I am blessed to have you as a daughter!! Money can't buy that!!!!
Mom
Obviously this person doesn't know you. You are one of the warmest, kindest people I know. Even though we only were coworkers for a short time, I am SO glad we were. I value our friendship so much.
The person obviously gets a kick out of writing nasty things to people. It's obvious he knew which buttons to push. Sorry that you had to be the recipient of such a comment. I had one once that was two lines long. It was more crude and happened on a very past post. If you don't have anonymous turned off, for sure do it. Or you can approve all comments. So sad there are people like this.
I am so glad it didn't get you down! You are amazing, and never let anyone let you feel differently!
Chee,
looks like your hate mail was shot down with lots of love from all the cool people who read your blog.
love your guts.
WOW! Kim! Way to go you! It's incredible you took the higher road on this! I'm impressed! I've always been amazed at people who are condescending, critical, and judgemental of people they don't know. It just tells me they are jealous. There are times I find myself hating celebreties because they are so rich and they can toss money around...when I can barely make ends meet working my tail off. It doesn't take long for that still small voice to remind me that they have their own set of problems and they could very possibly be unhappy; whereas I am very happy, have an incredible family, and know where I'm going when this is all over. You're an inspiration my dear!
Kim,
You are so amazing! I know what it is like to receive nasty hate mail as well. I marvel everyday at what you have been able to accomplish and when I heard you got into law school I wasn't surprised. You have always been so determined and such an example to me! Way to be strong. We love you guys so much!!
Melissa
Dear psychopath that is stalking Kim's blog. I am laughing at you right now because of your ridiculousness. Get a life and get out of Kims!!!
Hey Creep. Why do you care what she does with her life? Do you really she is actually going to sit down and take to heart all these things that she is supposedly doing wrong? Not likely. If you're shooting for change here, you're going about it the wrong way. Since when has blaming, condeming and whining ever changed anything in this world? Get over yourself. You're tiring.
Oh wow. I'm totally blog stalking and cannot believe this. The fact of the matter is, this guy is making ridiculous claims about you and committing quite a few ad hominem fallacies in the mix. Heaven forbid you have the money to travel. Admittedly, my husband and I plan to make money and travel as well. Who cares? This guy sounds educated, yet ignorant. He lacks the ambition to get off the computer, go start a "deceitful" business, and stop trolling on your blog. The best advice I ever got about the jerks on my blog was "don't feed the trolls." The next time this creeper leaves a comment, I say leave it alone. You can't argue with stupid. And this guy is obviously so if he's making claims like this about someone he doesn't know. And if his point is to call you a hypocrite...isn't he being one??
BAH!! His comments were so irritating because they came from nowhere!
Rant over.
Post a Comment