Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fallen Officer Ride

Nickelcrack and Dentface invited us to go on the Fallen Officer Ride today. It is definitely something I want to do every year. It was so rad! All the bikers met at the Harley Davidson in Lindon and rode up to the Capital building in Salt Lake. There were probably hundreds of police officers that led the ride. They stopped to close down freeway entrances, and state street from 4500 to the capital building. To be honest, it felt amazing to be in a huge line of thousands upon thousands of bikers running red lights and seeing the people on the side of the road in awe. I wish I could have gotten a picture of all the bikers but that would be impossible!

Once we arrived at the Capital building there was a memorial service for all of the officers that died during the line of duty. There are 118 officers thus far since the founding of Salt Lake/Utah. Many people came out to speak including the former governor Huntsman, and the attorney general Shurtliff. There were 118 flags displayed with pictures of each cop that had passed away with a description of how they died. Most were killed by gunfire, but there were a few that were beaten to death or died during an accident. I was shocked at how young most of these officers were. It made me appreciate our law enforcement for their courage and keeping us safe by putting their lives in danger on a daily basis.

Here are a few pics from the ride.

Just waiting to leave the parking lot at the start of the ride. The entire parking lot and street was full of bikers. This is just a small glimpse of how many there were.

A huge flag that the fire department displayed above state street during the middle of the ride.

Some of the cops bikes lined up once we arrived at the capital.

2 comments:

Nickell said...

What a cool experience to be a part of! I didn't know they did that. Very cool!

Nikki and Denton said...

Oh buddy I'm so glad you guys rode with us, it's fun to be with people you know and love! (Where's my picture??? J/K) Love you guys!