
Happy Mother's Day Mom!
We recently went to Puerto Rico again. This time my mom and Paul Wall came with us. A day into the trip my mom started getting sick. I didn't think anything about it because it started out as a headache. As the days progressed so did her symptoms. She started getting really nauseous and then lost her appetite completely. By the time these symptoms came on we were on our way home. With our luck our flight from Atlanta to Salt Lake was 3 hours delayed. They switched our plane and gate twice. Definitely not good for someone who is sick and just wants to get home.
Over the next day or so she wasn't feeling any better so Paul took her to the ER. Later she was checked into the hospital and is still in the hospital! She is going on her fourth or fifth night tonight. The doctors have thought she has had everything from Meningitis to Dengue fever to Pneumonia. After each diagnosis I look up the cause, symptoms, and process needed to get rid of it. Meningitis really freaked me out because the mortality rate is so high. I took a deep breath and assured myself the she would be ok. However, I couldn't help but think my mom was robbed because her mom died at such a young age and now I might go through the same thing. Normally I am very levelheaded and don't let my emotions get in the way of something that needs to be done. When it comes to my mom though I seem to freak out. I still maintain composure in front of everyone but when I'm by myself I ball my eyes out! I don't even think Jake realizes this because I usually don't ever cry in front of him. Obviously when I do, he knows something is seriously wrong.
Thankfully, the doctors said that she will be ok and may get out of the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully we will get to celebrate Mother's Day at home. If not, we will be bringing it to her in the hospital!
My mom has been such an inspiration to a lot of people in the world, but especially to me. If I am half as smart as her one day, I would be lucky! She has so many admirable traits that I hope inherit when I become a mother. A few are listed below:
She believes in you when you don't even believe in yourself.
People were always telling me growing up that I would just marry a rich man or inherit a lot of money and do nothing with my life but shop. This irritated me because I am a smart girl! I have big dreams for myself and none of it includes what everyone expected of me. When I got the opportunity to move to New York and Spain for internships, she understood it was something that I really wanted to do and insisted that I go. As hard as it was for her, she let me go.
She has the most unconditional love.
In high school my mom and I didn't get a lot as well as we do now. She was looking out for my best interests and obviously since I was the know it all teenager I thought I knew what was best for me. There was no other word to describe me in high school. I was a bitch. The funny thing is my sisters would totally agree with me, but mom would not. I was hurtful and inconsiderate when she was going through a lot of change in her life. I will always regret not being there for her when she needed someone.
She is an extremely hard worker.
While I was sitting with her in the hospital today, I asked her when the last time she went on a real vacation was. Meaning the she didn't open her computer or turn on her blackberry once. Her response: "I don't think I ever have". Crazy. Vacations are what help me keep my sanity! She opened this business so the we (her daughters) could have a better life. She has sacrificed her personal life and leisure time to help the business grow. She realized that if she didn't do it, no one else would. Somehow, she managed to run the business and always be there for us. She would be there when we got home from school, she never missed one of my basketball games, and she took time to travel with us. She thought that it was important that we see different cultures and ways of living and obviously have some fun together too.
She is funny, even though most of the time she doesn't try to be.
LOL, my mom says the most random things that she doesn't realize is totally inappropriate. For example, someone in the office a few years ago screwed up. This is roughly what she said to them when discussing the said "mistake"....."You made a boner move". hahahhahaa. We had to explain to her what a boner was. Another one of my favorites was, "Let's tag team this project". Classic. Good thing she has us to explain these new slang words.
I could go on forever about all the good qualities that she has. She is an amazing mom! I am just so grateful that she will be ok, and get out of the hospital soon. I love you mom! Happy Mother's Day!
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Happy Mother's Day!
Posted by KimandJake at 10:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
What a sweet tribute to your mom. I hope she is feeling tons better soon!
Post a Comment